Melissa in the Morning is hosted by Melissa Sheketoff who gathers top news headlines locally and nationally to keep WICC600 listeners in the know, delivering the information that matters most to you.
Every week, enjoy live interviews from state leaders, business owners and local experts. Melissa has recently connected with Governor Ned Lamont, who has agreed to take YOUR questions bi-weekly on the show. Consistently, Melissa also talks to U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal, U.S. Congressman Jim Himes, Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim and State Senator Tony Hwang. Local experts include infectious disease expert, Dr. Fred Browne of Griffin Health, Luke Frey from the Better Business Bureau, The Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities and Bridgeport Health Director Lisa Morrissey.
Enjoy original weekly segments like “Community Inspiration,” “Marriage Advice” and “Crime on the Mind.” Community Inspiration highlights Connecticut residents who live normal lives doing extraordinary things. Every week, you can meet people of all ages who are inspiring their community and loved ones through their work, outlook on life, actions and good deeds. Marriage advice is a bi-weekly check-in with relationship consultant, Bob Donovan, who gives tips to a healthy marriage and perspective for couples to think about. Crime on the Mind features Lt. James Perez from the Fairfield Police Department, who travels around the country teaching crime prevention to other police departments. He gives us the top crimes happening right now and tips for the public to stay safe and be proactive.
You’ll hear weather and traffic on the 6’s from our chief meteorologist Bill Jacquemin and our traffic reporter Kellie Quinn.
1. Governor Lamont explained why a gas tax is coming verses pulling revenue from online betting or marijuana sales. ((00:10))2. Congressman Himes responds to requests from families of 9/11 victims wanting transparency over Saudi Arabia. ((14:57)) IMAGE CREDIT: iStock / Getty Images PlusContinue Reading
1. Senator Blumenthal explains why he is “furious” and “frustrated” over Afghanistan. ((00:10))2. Our cyber security expert talked about phishing scams and how to make and remember solid passwords. ((07:55))3. The BBB says millions of young people are duped by employment scams. Besides being offered a fake job, what’s the risk? ((22:51)) IMAGE CREDIT: iStock /…Continue Reading
1. Director, Michael Gier, shares his latest film addressing PTSD after 9-11. We learned about a new treatment helping first responders. ((00:10))2. Listen to your body! Amy Llinas talks about aging bodies and how to take care of them. ((13:27))3. David Mestre teaches why physics is behind the rubber band thumb gun. ((20:05)) IMAGE CREDIT:…Continue Reading
1. Senator Kevin Kelly pushed his Stop the Gas tax initiative ahead of a potential special session. ((00:10))2. Krista Carnes answered listener questions about creating and fixing your social media profiles. ((07:55))3. Julius Dudics talks about the importance of surrounding yourself with positive relationships. ((20:08)) IMAGE CREDIT: iStock / Getty Images PlusContinue Reading
Rabbi Landa of Fairfield talked about the Jewish new year and the significance. ((00:10)) Congressman Jim Himes talks about the latest out of Afghanistan. ((09:17)) Gary Farrar Jr. talked about the goals of the democratic party in Ansonia ahead of the Board of Alderman election. ((19:27)) IMAGE CREDIT: iStock / Getty Images PlusContinue Reading
The first two cases of West Nile virus were detected in Fairfield and New Haven County. Turns out, it’s very common to get the virus but most don’t know it! Dr. Browne talked about that and the fact that cases of Legionnares Disease in NYC are not uncommon. Why is that? IMAGE CREDIT: iStock / Getty…Continue Reading
1. The American Red Cross checked in to talk about relief efforts in Louisiana after Hurricane Ida and offered safety protocols for Connecticut storms. ((00:10))2. Dan Onofrio talked about the business environment with vaccine mandates and working from home. ((12:57))3. Labor Day weekend is rocking in Bridgeport! Details on the free concert and fireworks coming…Continue Reading
1. Eversource talks about its efforts to remove trees that could cause more problems in storms. ((00:10))2. Counselor Julius Dudics talked about stress in the household during back to school time and how to deal. ((15:18))3. Meet this year’s Bluefish tournament winner: Joe Gallo! ((22:07)) IMAGE CREDIT: iStock / Getty Images PlusContinue Reading