Melissa in the Morning is hosted by Melissa Sheketoff who gathers top news headlines locally and nationally to keep WICC listeners in the know, delivering the information that matters most to you.
Every week, enjoy live interviews from state leaders, business owners and local experts. Melissa has recently connected with Governor Ned Lamont, who has agreed to take YOUR questions bi-weekly on the show. Consistently, Melissa also talks to U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal, U.S. Congressman Jim Himes, Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim and State Senator Tony Hwang. Local experts include infectious disease expert, Dr. Fred Browne of Griffin Health, Luke Frey from the Better Business Bureau, The Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities and Bridgeport Health Director Lisa Morrissey.
Enjoy original weekly segments like “Community Inspiration,” “Marriage Advice” and “Crime on the Mind.” Community Inspiration highlights Connecticut residents who live normal lives doing extraordinary things. Every week, you can meet people of all ages who are inspiring their community and loved ones through their work, outlook on life, actions and good deeds. Marriage advice is a bi-weekly check-in with relationship consultant, Bob Donovan, who gives tips to a healthy marriage and perspective for couples to think about. Crime on the Mind features Lt. James Perez from the Fairfield Police Department, who travels around the country teaching crime prevention to other police departments. He gives us the top crimes happening right now and tips for the public to stay safe and be proactive.
You’ll hear weather and traffic on the 6’s from our meteorologist Paul Piorek and our traffic reporter Chris Williams.
1. Daniel Hand football coach reacts to CIAC decision for no contact football. ((00:11)) 2. Senator Tony Hwang thinks the tennis match decision for football was ridiculous ((15:09)) 3. How to curb bullying in schools during a pandemic. ((24:44)) IMAGE CREDIT: iStock / Getty Images PlusContinue Reading
Melissa’s mom shares her twist on the classic Shepherd’s Pie but with souffléd potatoes: 1. Make mashed potatoes; Claud prefers a mix of packaged and real potatoes mixed with butter and milk. Once done, set aside. 2. Pan fry chopped meat and onion 3. Then add french green beans ( cut in half) and chopped…Continue Reading
Executive Director of the State Police Union talks about the recent vote of no confidence. ((00:07)) Senator Richard Blumenthal does not believe our state officers will disappear or stop working hard despite reform law. ((15:00)) September is National Preparedness Month — what YOU need to know! ((22:00)) IMAGE CREDIT: iStock / Getty Images PlusContinue Reading
Melissa talked with this year’s winner of the WICC600 Spector Eye Care Greatest Bluefish Tournament on Earth!Continue Reading
1. Why to get flu vaccines and is it safe during the pandemic? ((00:07)) 2. The Red Cross REALLY needs volunteers here and across the country. ((05:50)) 3. CT State Police are out in full force starting tonight for Labor Day Weekend patrols. ((11:40)) IMAGE CREDIT: iStock / Getty Images PlusContinue Reading
1. Norwalk Hospital talks about colon cancer and when to actually start getting screenings for prevention. ((00:07)) 2. UConn Senior shares his experience with being back at school and distanced learning measures. ((09:06)) 3. Triple A can help you out with free online lessons worth school credit! ((15:35)) Website for classes: https://tinyurl.com/AAAdistancelearning IMAGE CREDIT: iStock / Getty…Continue Reading
1. Officer Mike DeVito talks about the importance of body cameras for all departments. ((00:07)) 2. Back to school options for working parents and what happens to colleges? ((08:40)) 3. Are actors and athletes right in sharing opinions on the job? ((20:00)) Image: iStock / Getty Images PlusContinue Reading
1. Governor Lamont talks back to school, college woes, travel advisories and the latest on utility companies. ((00:07)) 2. Congressman Jim Himes addresses civil unrest and what can be done nationwide to better racist police departments. ((13:08)) 3. Cooking with Claud: Cauliflower Steaks ((21:48)) Image: iStock / Getty Images PlusContinue Reading